Friday, January 18, 2008

Meanest Mom?

'Meanest mom on planet' sells son's car
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) – Jane Hambleton has dubbed herself the "meanest mom on the planet."
After finding alcohol in her son's car, she decided to sell the car and share her 19-year-old's misdeed with everyone -- by placing an ad in the local newspaper.
**************************************
Read the rest of this great interview here:
'Meanest mom on the planet' places ad explaining son's goof / QCTimes.com
This news release gave us plenty to talk about this week in just about every place that I’ve spent time – church, gym and StandUp Parenting Support Group. Everyone – and I mean everyone thought the woman should be given a medal.
The second comment was, hey girl, we thought you were the meanest mom on the planet. Well, just for the record, I merely called myself a mean mom. Mind you, I did claim, when my kids were in elementary school, that I had attended Mean Mom College and graduated at the top of my class.
It all started when we had a couple of challenging foster boys who began to accuse me of being a Mean Mom. Cut me to the heart. For awhile. Then I began to take a new tack – ‘Oh, thank you!’ I’d exclaim, wiping an imaginary tear from my eye. 'I worked so hard in Mean Mom College. It’s working!’
That response brought the accusations to an immediate standstill. After all, how do you respond to agreement from Mom?
Back to Jane Hambleton – I notice that she stated two simple rules about the car for her son. I also noticed that when her son broke one of those rules she didn’t accuse him, argue with him or warn him. She took action. Wow! I'm impressed. Easier said than done.
Could I do that? Should I? When? How?
Come on down to your local StandUp Parent group (or request a six week class), and get the support you need to take the action you want to take this week.